9 days self-guided cycling tour in Lithuania
9 DAYS SELF-GUIDED CYCLING TOUR IN LITHUANIA
Cycling tour in Lithuania takes cyclists through a little-known, fascinating corner of Europe. The tour begins in the capital, Vilnius. The cycle route first leads from Vilnius to Trakai – the former capital of Lithuania famous for its island castle before heading towards Kaunas, the second biggest city in Lithuania. You will continue cycling along the Nemunas River from Kaunas to the coast, crossing the unique Curonian lagoon by boat to the beautiful resort, Nida. Later you will cycle along the spit to explore its treasures before taking a ferry back across the lagoon to the historic coastal town of Klaipeda.
Arrival in Vilnius.
Optional airport transfer to your centrally located.
Free time to discover Vilnius Old Town on your own.
Overnight at 3* hotel in VILNIUS
- Vilnius Old Town
Collect rental cycles at your hotel. Morning free to explore Vilnius.
Cycling to Trakai, former capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, to visit the 14thC island castle on a small island in Lake Galvė.
Overnight at 3* hotel in TRAKAI
- Cycling ~32 km
Cycling on a picturesque, rolling road through the land of lakes and hills, pass Elektrėnai where the most powerful thermal power station in Lithuania is located. Finish cycling in Žąsliai, where you’ll take a train (not included) for a half-hour ride to Kaunas, the second-largest city and former Lithuanian capital from 1919-1939.
Overnight at 4* hotel in KAUNAS
- Cycling ~46 km
Morning free to explore the Old Town of Kaunas, then cycling along the Nemunas River to Mikytai, where you’ll take a ferry across the river to Vilkija. Continue cycling along the river to impressive Panemunė Castle (16th-17thC). En route crossing the Dubysa River, pass Veliuona mound hill, the grave of the Grand Duke Gediminas and Raudonė Castle.
Overnight in Panemunė Castle (4* hotel).
- cycling along the Nemunas River ~75 km
Continue cycling along the Nemunas River to Jurbarkas. From Jurbarkas cycle towards Smalininkai. From there you’ll leave the Nemunas River for a while and cycle through the woods towards Tauragė, passing the Viešvilė Nature Reserve.
Overnight at 3* hotel in TAURAGĖ.
- Cycling along Neminas River and Viešvilė Nature Reserve ~46 km
Cycling on local, country roads to Šilutė, a town named after “Šilokarčema” (a pub in the pine forest). This region is known as a land of storks and the White Stork truly deserves its place as Lithuanian’s national bird.
Overnight at 3* hotel in ŠILUTĖ.
- Cycling 60 km
Morning cycle to Ventė Horn to visit the 19thC lighthouse and the Ornithological Station that retell their stories and have a panoramic view of the landscape including a glimpse of the Curonian Spit shining sand dunes washed by the Baltic Sea on one side and the Curonian Lagoon on the other. Cross the Curonian Lagoon by boat to Nida, former fishermen’s village now the largest town on the Curonian Spit and one of the most beautiful resorts in Lithuania.
Overnight at 3* hotel in NIDA.
- Cycling ~33 km or 48 km
Explore Nida where you can cycle alongside impressive sand dunes and visit the most popular places of interest – the Fisherman’s House, the summer house of famous German writer Thomas Mann, and the Amber Gallery. Afterward, cycle on an asphalt bike path through woods along the Curonian Spit to Klaipėda. En route, you may stop for a walk on a wooden path to the Dead Dunes where you’ll be rewarded with a panoramic view of the Curonian Lagoon and the Baltic Sea, watch a colony of grey herons and cormorants, and explore the Hill of Witches, which has a hundred fanciful and folksy wooden sculptures scattered along a forest path in Juodkrantė village.
Arrive in Klaipėda to take a ferry to the Old Town.
Overnight at 3* hotel in KLAIPĖDA.
- Cycling 58 km along sand dunes of the Curonian Spit
Enjoy a final stroll through this fascinating town Klaipeda.
End of the service
*Optional transfer to Vilnius or Riga
- Discover historic town Klaipeda
- 8 nights stay at the hotels (rooms with WC/shower)
- 8 x breakfast
- Boat trip across the Curonian Lagoon to Nida
- 24 hours service hotline
- Individual information package (one per room): tour program with route description, maps and city guides GPX tracks
- OPTIONAL: Rent of hybrid trekking bike (VDV, KTM, Kalkhoff) equipped with 7-speed Shimano Nexus hub gears or 24-speed Shimano derailleur gears - 99 EUR, 12 EUR for extra day*
- INCLUDING: a waterproof handlebar bag with map/smartphone holder (Ortlieb), repair set with spare inner tubes (one repair set per booking), delivery of bikes to the hotel in Vilnius/collection from the hotel in Klaipėda
- OPTIONAL: Rent of E-bike/Pedelec (VDV, Kalkhoff or KTM) with Bosch driving system equipped with 8-speed Shimano Nexus hub gears - 245 EUR, 30 EUR for extra day*
- OPTIONAL: Rent of a pair of waterproof panniers (Ortlieb) for mounting on back rack (total capacity 2 x 20 litres) – 25 EUR per bicycle (Day 2-8), 3 EUR for extra day
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Lunches & dinners
- Luggage transport
- Bicycle rent
- Bus/train tickets
|City||Hotel name||Hotel type||Contact details|
CityVilnius, Trakai, Kaunas, Panemunes castle, Jurbarkas, Taurage, Silute, Nida, Klaipeda
Hotel name3-4* hotels
Hotel type3-4* hotels with central location Rooms with ensuite facilities (shower/WC or bath/WC)